Roanoke Valley Reads (RVR) is an annual community-wide reading experience in which people across the Valley read a chosen book then come together to discuss it and attend activities related to themes in the book. RVR is organized and implemented entirely by volunteers. It seeks to:
- encourage people to make reading a part of their daily lives
- foster a sense of community by bringing together people of different ages, races, religions and socio-economic levels
- promote tolerance and understanding of differing points of view
- emphasize the importance of literacy
Big Read Roanoke Valley
- July 2009--Friends of the Roanoke County Public Library decides to sponsor a community-wide read. Two Board members are coordinators.
- Friends partners with the National Endowment for the Arts’ Big Read in Virginia.
Big Read Roanoke Valley is born.
- A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines is the book for 2010.
- Big Read activities take place throughout March, 2010.